Thursday, November 11, 2004

The OC, CSI, Poker, But above all - Ray Liotta

Thursday Night TV: (for you "tape and watch later" folks, don't read this)

The OC - Big time rebound after a disappointing season two premiere.

The first great line came early on when Sandy, after being asked by Kirsten to get the phone, said, "C'mon, I'm mid-shmear!" as he spread cream cheese on his bagel.

The first thing that pissed me off: When Ryan and Marissa saw each other again for the first time they hugged. Good for them, BUT when Marissa went in for the hug, the camera was behind her and we watched as she put her left hand on Ryan's right shoulder and then when they cut and the camera was behind Ryan, Marissa's arm was around his back. Continuity error. Why don't they notice these things? It's distracting. Did anybody else notice this? They need to have a Continuity Cop on hand during the shooting and editing. I volunteer me.

The first funny comment from a viewer came when Summer first told Seth she has a boyfriend (which was a lie), my roommate, Heed, said, "Back on the boat!" referring to Seth's departure at the end of last season when things weren't going his way.

The first classic OC moment, if a show as young as The OC can have classic moments: Seth presents Ryan with his comic book club/league flyer and says, "That's me with powers." That's the Seth we need more of on the show. Keep him out of the drama, just keep him running commentary on everything else.

The first predictable "What the hell?" moment: Marissa kisses DJ the yard guy. First of all, there is no shame in being a yard guy. Second of all, did we really need that? Do we have to have every relationship between any two people on The OC be dysfunctional? This show better not get to Day Time Soap on me or I'm quitting it. But I'm not nearly as close to quitting it as I was last week.

I thought this entire episode was pretty predictable, as was proved when Marissa was boozing in school. Atta girl. Why didn't I/we/my friends do more of that? Sports may have been why, lack of balls may also have played a part.

What's up with Summer and bizzaro world Seth (the new boyfriend/comic book geek)? Stupid plot move. They can do better. Moving on to some more unintentional comedy...

...When Kirsten came into her kitchen with two grocery bags and Ryan said, "Let me help with that," he was too late getting to her. She had the bags on the counter, he just slid one bag over a bit. Funny stuff. Nice try, Ryan.

I'm playing Poker online right now, and I just made an excellent, excellent lay down. And what do they Poker Gods bless me with next? Big Slick in the small blind. They also blessed me with a guy going all-in with pocket 10's and me calling and losing. Damn. Next table please

Does anybody else see The OC going right back to square one? (God, I am a fruitcake for writing so much about a show that 16 year old girls probably get together to watch every Thursday.) Anyway, Summer won't talk to Seth. Ryan and Marissa are not friends nor are they dating. Julie Cooper's husband is in legal trouble. Sandy will be back in legal talks with Cal (this time on the same team). Hailey is getting the fuck out of Dodge. Marissa has serious issues, except that part never left. Somebody hit the 'next track' button, this one is skipping.

This table keeps teasing me. Three kings in a row, all paired with low cards, 3, 4, and then 2.

Great Summer line. Ryan goes to her house to speak to her. She makes a mean remark about her step-mother. Ryan says she was nice. Summer fires back with, "She just switched anti-depressants; give it a day." Great stuff. That's why I watch The OC. Need more of that.

Next: We see Marissa. I call tears in this scene, and we get 'em. Like I said, a predictable show, but better than last week. If The OC is going to keep being popular, it needs to stick with the witty remarks, lay off a bit on the absurd plot lines, and be a bit happier.

Two commercial notes: 1) Old Navy in the first commercial break, Worst Commercial ever. I wanted to use a stereotypical remark referring to a sexual orientation that isn't as common as heterosexually, but I resisted. 2) As Robin (Robin of 'Batman and Robin' not Robin who lives three houses away) might say, "Holy Tits, Selma." Good God Selma Hayek. You sold me, I'm seeing the movie, that one with Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson, forgot the name, but not the breasts.

Favorite plot line right now: The Sandy Coen defending Cal thing. Why? Because I know Seth will be around to make good jokes.

Least favorite: Ryan and Marissa. It is tired. Just put 'em together and get it over with.

Now, on to...

...CSI -

Pretty good show. Nothing interesting to add, just good show.

Break for Poker Commentary: I just had a Full House. I like Full Houses. Even Bob Saget and Jodi Sweetin (I didn't even have to look those names up...sad.)

Another hand: I held AJ - The Big Blind was called all the way around to me, I raise 100 (blinds are 15/30 and I have 950 in chips or so). Next guy folds. Second Guy goes All In. All other fold except the guy on my right, he goes All In, too. I think for a second and fold. Second Guy has pocket Q's. Guy on my Right has pocket K's. The Flop comes 7,A,J. I would have flopped two pair, tripled up, took out two guys and been set. But I still think I made a smart play. Damn Poker anyway. If I was TJ Cloutier, I would tell you to look at my cards and then I would laugh like I have Alzheimer's, but I'm not, so whoopee, next hand please.

Back to the picture box.

Ray Liotta on ER. My anticipation for this was huge. My expectations were huge. And they were surmounted no problem, by far.

Ray Liotta should start dusting off a place on his mantle for an Emmy. Wow. This was the single best performance ever displayed on a drama or comedy on network TV. Unbelievable. I just made big statements and I will stand by them all with full conviction.

Two things need to be clarified before I get into his actual performance on tonight's show:

1) I am not an ER fan. I do not watch the show; I used to watch it, but when they started loosing all the stars, I bailed out. I have not watched the show in probably four or five years.

2) Ray Liotta has long been one of my top three or four favorite actors. I always like his stuff, from Field of Dreams to Dominick and Eugene to Goodfellas to Identity to Narc. He is phenomenal. He is one of the most under-used and under-appreciated actors in Hollywood. There are many of them, add this to ever expanding List, but he is right at the top. My expectations for him on tonight's show were high. And I am not a person who will give his favorite actors a free pass. If they suck in something, I will be the first to say it. For instance, Edward Norton, Death to Smoochy, Why, Dude? C'mon. So, no free passes.

Alright, on to tonight...

The character he played was named Charlie Metcalf.

(side note on that name: Metcalf, way too often used as a surname in movies and TV, I don't know why, but I'm sure it wasn't because Laurie Metcalf played Roseanne's sister on her show...(no, I didn't have to look that up. I suck.))

Charlie Metcalf was a happily married man with an eight year old son. On his son's eighth birthday his wife asked him to go to the store to get something for the party, Charlie said no because he was finishing building a robot for Bobby, his son. So his wife went, she was struck by a car, I assume, not 100% sure, but she died in the road. Charlie was left to raise his eight year old son. He began drinking. He didn't stop; he was an alcoholic. One night in a bar, he was drunk, and, just because a guy looked at him wrong, Charlie stabbed him, killing the man. Charlie went to prison for nine years. Bobby went to live with his maternal grandparents. They visited Charlie for a few months while he was prison, but eventually stopped. Charlie was let out of prison three years ago and had yet to see his son. He showed up at the ER on this night. He was obviously losing it mentally. He thought was at the airport. Everything we know about this man we learn while he is telling it to the doctors and nurses who are treating him. He is an alcoholic, he said he drank in jail by taking food from the mess hall, mixing it with toilet water, putting it in a plastic bag and letting it ferment, then straining it through a sock. Sad. His liver and kidneys are failing him. He is dieing. A nurse calls his son, who says, "Have a nice life, Dad." and hangs up. Liotta cries. During the show he comes to the realization that everything that is happening to him now he did to himself and booze was the main cause. I am watching this, while finishing a drink and pouring another one, and Liotta's performance, along with the writing, is making me feel guilty while I drink. That is an odd feeling. Liotta's performance was so powerful that as he instructed the doctors to let him go, to not revive him, to make a DNR (do not resuscitate), I got that soft shiver up the spine that you get just before you cry. I won't lie, I didn't cry, but I was damn close. It was a moving storyline with excellent writing, but it would never have been pulled off had they not used an actor with the abilities of Ray Liotta. Ray Liotta, in my book, has cemented himself at the top of the list of the best actors in the world. #1, kids, Ray Liotta. I wish I had that one on tape. Wow.

I can't say anything else about it. My summary does shit for it, you had to see it. Liotta was (there is no word to define it).

Time to go celebrate Tom's 21st. Guilt be gone, dear Liotta, time to get bombed. Go Tom!

Until Next Time.










Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?