Monday, November 29, 2004

The Reason for the Season

I've been a blog neglecter for six days, but now I am back with some shit to spew at you from my head via my fingers.

On Thanksgiving, it is traditional to give thanks for things in your life that you appreciate. But who do you give the thanks to? If you are giving thanks for your family, then naturally the thanks goes to them. But what if you are giving thanks for being in good health? I guess you could give the thanks to yourself if you keep yourself in shape, but what if you are thankful that you don't have testicular cancer? Where does that thanks go? I guess you have to just let it float around.

The Holiday Season: it brings out the best and the worst in America and in Americans. I always hear people talking about the reason for the season, especially around Christmas, but nobody ever bothers to specify this. We are left to assume that the person speaking is refering to is some supreme being we are to worship, but what if the reason to that person is to be with family? Then we have unintentionally misinterpreted the meaning behind what said communicator is attempting to convey. We need specify our reasons for celebrating things in this season to avoid misunderstandings. I think it is rather arrogant of Christians to post things that read, "Remember the Reason for the Season." As if every person's reason is the same. As if all people are Christians. And what season are they talking about? The Holiday Season? The Christmas Season? The Winter Season? Their signs should read, "Remember that Jesus is the reason for our Christmas Season." I think that version is more snappy anyway.

On another Holiday note, I have decided to celebrate Christmas for the 21st consecutive year. People reading this may wonder why there is even a decision to be made. Don't you just celebrate it no matter what, like your birthday? Not me. This will be my fourth Christmas has a decided Atheist, the previous two were as a "doubting Christian," and the 15 before that were as an ignoramus. The last three years I have celebrated Christmas with my family because of my family. It is a great family time and I think my family has truly great Holiday traditions. But everyone else the last few years has had a reason to be there other than family. This reason of course being celebrating the birth of Jesus. So how can an Atheist decide to celebrate Christmas and be able to find some personal reason for it? Well, much in the same way that millions of other Americans do. Christmas in America is hardly about Jesus. It is a commercial holiday, like Valentine's Day, where the virtually sole purpose is gift exchange. How many people do you know who spend more time worshiping Jesus than shopping for presents in preperation for Christmas. My purpose in celebrating Christmas is to give. Some Christians may call that worshiping Jesus, to which I will respond by asking if I was worshiping Jesus when I bought my 20 year old brother a case of beer for his birthday. Anyway, an Atheistic Christmas it is; I think many Christians celebrate this kind of Christmas as well, they just don't think about it. Consumerism killed Jesus and made Christmas an American Holiday, not a Christian Holiday. After all, you don't receive mail on Christmas, do you?

Until Sooner, rather than later.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?