Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The System, The Decline

First things first, back to Saturday, I forgot to give credit where credit was most undoubtedly due, to Dean Furton and Casey Drake for their tag-team comedy act in the kitchen of the 213. They ought to take their act to Shee-nan's the Shithole on Wednesday night for Comedy Night. I can't wait to see it again.

Blogs are currently a big fad all over the place. Tons of mindless idiots, like myself, type up a bunch of random, stupid shit that only maybe 7 people give a shit about. But it's fun. It is also the natural progression of looking into the lives of other people, sometimes total strangers, and getting to know them. Look at the beginning of this type of thing, where did it start? It probably started when people, mostly historians, would read letters and correspondences written by people of fame a long ass time ago, people like Thomas Jefferson. Then we started seeing diaries and journals being published, most recently Phil Jackson's. After publishing people's letters, diaries, journals, etc., we moved to watching them on TV, thanks to the pop culture devil-vehicle that is MTV, via The Real World. And then of course the explosion of shitty reality TV shows. And now blogs. What will be next? Next you will probably see people video taping clips of their day on their cell phone, then uploading it on to some site where people can come and watch their day. It's a progression, but all the things that have happened in the past continue to happen today, along with the new ways to peer into the lives of people you do not know at all. We're all nosy fuckers, everyone out there would like to know what's going on in their neighbor's house, bedroom, and head. It's human nature I suppose, although "human nature" is a shitty explanation for something. Human nature is a cop out, an excuse - it's worthless. Look at human nature, why would you want to chalk up anything this phenomenon. We are animals, we have animal instincts. People are territorial, selfish, lazy, greedy, jealous, angry, irritable animals. Human nature is not always a good thing, I actually think it is never a good thing. Human nature is the equivalent to instinct, think about how many times your first instinct is a shitty idea. You see a guy push your friend, your instinct might be to kick his ass right away, when the situation can end in three seconds by just stepping between and taking your friend away. Human nature is pervasive, people always have to know everything that's going on. That's way we are.

When this world ends, I guarantee we will have planned our own demise. Why do I feel like I can make this guarantee? 1) We never learn from the past. "We" not being the royal we, but the plural one, all of us. We study history, we see what other people have done, yet people in all walks of life, and all governments, continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
2) Religion will bring about the apocalypse. And I do not mean the Christian God will come down and make everyone vanish from the Earth and go to their respective eternal homes. I am talking about religious wars all over the planet, civilizations ending, people dividing. And don't think this is only a Middle-Eastern thing, the USA will be right on top of it all. George Carlin said it, God has been the biggest cause of death in the history of the world. The Crusades, The Holocaust, 9/11, George W. Bush - it goes on and on. Even into smaller events like David Koresh inWaco, TX - don't think that won't happen again. I am sounding very pessimistic here, but you have to see things the way they really are. The world works in cycles. All dynasties and empires have ended in similar ways. It goes back to nobody learning from the past or nobody having the balls the move away from the status quo, to realize that we are treading the beaten path now and all beaten paths have the same fatal end. We are living, as NOFX said, in decline, the victim of our own design. Anyway, unless it happens in the next four years, this won't happen for a long time. But I still think I need to get my ass in office someday. Anybody have aspirations of being a campaign manager?

I just got quad sixes in a poker game. Big Smile.

And I just won 50 bucks in a sit-and-go. If I were typing on AIM right now, I would send myself a big yellow smiley face. Just kidding, I hate those things. I don't mind when other people use them, but they aren't for me.

Going back to thinking about the next four years, isn't it astonishing how united the country seemed immediately after 9/11 and how it is so divided now? No, it isn't. Not at all. After 9/11, the country was as equally divided, we just didn't know it yet. The government and Alfred E. Newman, I mean George W. Bush, put the American people on a leash using rhetoric and careful language in order to get us all together for their war. When people started waking up from the brainwashing, the division became clear. Again to use a NOFX lyric, "we need a brain wash, grey matter bath." Notice that brain and wash are two different words in NOFX's lyric. So now we are split pretty hardcore. As a friend of mine said, "All the racist states are red." It is quite interesting to look at different maps of the USA concerning the election. When you look at a map of just the states, it is very red, but when you look at map that skews the country, making the heavily populated areas bigger, you get a different picture. Check it out, good shit.

Also, something interesting can be found to read at www.fuckthesouth.com. Read past the vagrant tone to find some interesting points.

Ok and then there is this, on ESPN.com's MLB page, there was a headline, referring to the fan who was shot while celebrating the Red Sox' World Series Championship, that read, "Boston Police: Cop who shot fan missed target." You think? That win's my award for most obvious statement by anyone in America. Are you sure he didn't aim for her eye? Then it goes on to say that the shooter was aiming for another person. Well that's good to hear. I'm glad we are aiming for these people with guns. What were these fans doing that was so bad? Did they knock over a city light? Great. Arrest 'em, fine 'em, don't shoot 'em. Also, the cop is currently on paid injury leave. Did he miss someone else and shoot himself? How about a suspension? If I was this girl's parents I would be irate. Ah, the system we live in, great isn't it?

Sorry if you get whiplash, but I'm going to abruptly change topics.

I miss baseball. I miss watching games everyday. But I love the off-season. And I hate the off-season. I hate it because Cristian Guzman signed with the Washington Franchise today. Dammit. Cristian, why not stay where you are comfortable, why move to a city that will be #1 on a terrorist's target list? Well, for money. Minnesota can't pay anybody because Carl Pohlad is Minnesota's richest and most frugal person. It sounds like the Twins have a good hitting SS prospect who also has throwing issues. And you know what? Doug Menaskdfnleastcz (yes, I spelled it correctly) isn't over there to save his ass anymore. I'm nervous. Your SS should be your best defender. In Minnesota, whoever they get, will max out at three on their team 'cause the won't find anyone better at SS than Hunter is in CF and than Rivas is at 2B. But I do love the off season, especially when I see that Yankee's owner, George Steinbrenner, was meeting with Pedro Martinez in Florida. Well, welcome to the darkside, Pedro. I just hope Rad Bradke doesn't end up there too.

Kevin Garnett tonight, kids, 25 pts and 21 rebs, does anyone in the league turn out more huge double-double games than him? Absolutely not. Good to see that, against a good team too.

Yes, I watched the Real World. Yes, I thought I was going to stab myself in the thigh with a meat thermometer. Yes, I hate myself for watching it. I didn't watch Laguna Beach, I was playing basketball. We won. Wooha. (You know how to read that.)

Until Tomorrow.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?