Friday, December 17, 2004

The Elephant That We Don't Talk About

I received two comments on recent posts, one on the comments board and one in an IM. They both warrant discussion.

First, the comment about how it might not be a good idea for me to track booze purchases, I can only say that while my spending habits may change, consumption levels will not. How can this be possible? Well, this study is pretty much my way of proving to myself that I am too philanthropistic with my wallet when it comes to booze. That's all. Fear not.

This deserves mentioning. I'm playing 1/2 limit hold em. I flopped a set of fours and won 33.50, then, on the very next hand, I flop two pair, aces and threes, and am in a 33 dollar pot when I get rivered by a dude making a better two pair when his 5 hits. The Rizz put it well, feel the rush, feel the suck out.

The second comment said how the reader liked my blog because I wrote things she said most people only think. Well, I think I have some more of those little moments to write about...

How about when a woman is breast-feeding a baby in public? You want to look, see if you can see something you are not supposed to, but you know it is wrong. You feel guilty, but you still can't help yourself, you grab sneak peeks, quick glances. Everyone does it.

Have you ever been in a room when a very awkward moment has come about? Say one of your friends mentioned something he wasn't supposed to about another friend of yours and everyone else in the room is standing there not really knowing what to do or say next and you are staring at the person who that something was said about. Then there is a pause and your friend who made the taboo comment has the "What the fuck?" look on his face because he doesn't know what's going on. Then you have to quick try to figure something out to pop the bubble in the room or heard the elephant out, but that's a hard thing to do. After the pause, questioning, staring, if someone hasn't come up with a fix, then there will be a little panic and by this time it is either too late and someone is going to have point to the elephant or come up with a great way to either clear the room or change the topic, spark a debate, get everyone to take a shot or something. Then you have the backlash... where your friend asks you whats up and you have to tell him and he feels bad, then people do the whispering around the room and tell everyone else what just happened. If you could call Gil Grissom to come and spray the story with luminol, we could watch it spread around the room, pretty soon the room would glow blue. The person who is the subject of the story will feel out of place and in the limelight all at the same time. These feelings will take a little bit to dissipate. That tension hovers over the room for a little bit. We all see it happening.

I lost 12 bucks in poker today.

I am going to start drinking beer now.

Until I Sober Up.






Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?