Monday, December 06, 2004

I Miss Baseball

Don't think I haven't been keeping up-to-date on the MLB steroid debacle, I have, I am just pretending it isn't happening.

I just want to love the game of baseball. Baseball is the sport that has been able to revive itself as America's pastime after such events as the 1919 "Black Sox" scandal, the 1994 strike, Pete Rose, the all-star game that ended in a tie, multiple bat corking episodes... and now it has this. This could be the on to topple the game. It puts into question not only ever record of the past ten years, but also every game, every World Series, every award handed out. It scars the integrity of America's game. The 1994 strike was different, that was a labor hassle that could be pinned on the owners, people with whom the fans do not have direct connection. But the steroid scandal that is scarring the game's integrity reaches deeper in the hearts of baseball's followers. It is going to change the way we see our favorite players. Baseball people pour over each and every game of the 162 game season. Just look at the Chicago and Boston fans over the past two seasons when both clubs have been contending. The season is grueling for baseball fans, 162 games to live and die with. Could the NBA hold the attention of its fans for 162 games? I don't think so. Baseball needs to find a way to keep its fans connected with its biggest stars.

I just hope it goes away. I can't read and listen to trial reports for the next 6 months. I miss the season already and I can't be having my game highlights and player reports interrupted with BALCO bullshit.

And, as far as I'm concerned, take the asterisk keys off the keyboards, 'cause they shouldn't be used.

Until Later.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?