Friday, January 14, 2005

I Am Never Wrong

At work today I was called both arrogant and cynical. While both of those characteristics are often found within the same person, I only admit to being one of them: arrogant. My perceived cynicism is only skepticism. The words cynical and skeptical are often wrongly interchanged and incorrectly given the same connotation. Skepticism is questioning things, not always eating what you're being fed, while cynicism takes skepticism to another level that becomes unhealthy. And as for my arrogance? Yeah. I am sometimes. What are you going to do about it?

The comments about me being arrogant and cynical came after I stated that I think Christians hide a secret hatred for the Old Testament because it portrays God as an asshole, my exact words. Didn't go over well. But I think there is truth to it. When opposers of believers in arguments make a point, they often use the Old Testament as ammunition. Read Dan Barker.

In that group at work, I rarely speak out too much because my offerings to group discussions are not often aimed at belittling someone else and my humor is not often of the same grade (level) as the rest of the group. Here is my arrogance emanating again. I have my targets, but I rarely hit them, while the general function of the group meetings is to aline two or three people against one while the rest of us are supposed to be entertained. However, and the attackers will disagree, the funniest comments come from the targets themselves. So, I am an arrogant cynic. Bring it on.

Speaking of work, I should tell you what I do, for those of you who don't know. I work on the University's Paint Crew, which means I go into work at 7:30, sit in the office 'til 8:15, sit in the shop 'til 8:45, sit in the building's lobby 'til 9:30, paint 'til 10:20, take our break, back to work at 11-ish, then take lunch at 11:30 or so. It's pretty tough. We make a whoppingly pathetic 6 bucks an hour, which we probably don't even earn. Our day usually ends an hour or so after lunch, which is an hour or two premature. Truthfully, I would rather paint more than sit around all the damn time. Our boss not only enables the laziness, but he encourages it - I'm not complaining. Pretty relaxing job with low expectations. But that's what a three week temp job should be.

Thursday Night TV Report

The OC

Blah.

There were a few very funny references, however.

Sandy's Bill O'Reilly reference, especially since it was on a FOX network, was priceless.

Ryan trying to get his shit on with Lindsay to romantic stylings of Steve Perry and Journey? C'mon, Ryan doesn't listen to Journey. What the fuck...

Summer wants to moink her boyfriend in order to create jealousy. Her conversation with Marissa is the kind of thing guys will futiley yearn to hear forever. "I am ready, I want to have sex." If they were so simple and blunt with us. But what fun would that be?

Another great reference that I bet not everybody got... it was about Summer's dinner with her special guy friend's family. Summer went into about how his mother had a friend named Kofi Annan, etc... Well, Summer missed a few things because Kofi Annan, an American educated man from Ghana, Africa, is the Secretary-General of the U.N. Good stuff. Subtle and hilarious.

The entire episode was aimed at this one final event, which was the ultismo cheese-fest. Just a huge, fat, gynormous block of Colby. Ridiculous. It was one of those uncomfortable moments where you just have to sit there and hope it all ends soon.

Moving on... Sandy is yet again Father To All with his intervention of Alex and Seth's fling... The Lindsay thing is going to get some tieing together next week... Marissa is due for a meltdown and a muff dive... And Ryan, acting slid a bit this week after continuous improvements. We need more Kirsten just like Kirstie Alley needs more shirt.

And done.

It's my buddy Drewshbag's 21st tonight, which means many drinks for all.

Wooha.

Until The Fucking Weekend.






Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?