Thursday, February 24, 2005

7 Minutes in Hell

A few weeks ago someone posed this question to me: 30 is the over/under on many more wins the Twins will have than the Brewers, what would you take? I thought about it and to my surprise I took the under. Hey, The Crew have a fighting chance to play .500 baseball this year, espescially if they manage not to get rid of Sheets and Lee hits about 35-40 dingers.

Alright, unless I get drunk and do something unprotected later this semester, the 7 minutes I'm about to describe to you are the front runner for worst of this academic session:

I'm playing three $.50/$1 No Limit Hold 'Em Ring Game Tables.

The following three hands happen in the span of 7 minutes (it's an approximation, I may have lost time for a bit, ala Ed Norton in Primal Fear.)

I'm holding K2 suited one off the button, I call the big blind, hoping to get a flush draw, and the flop comes A-2-2. Alright, I'll take trip dueces. I play the hand not passively, but not real aggressively either. After the turn it's me and one other dude who calls my flop and turn bets, then raises me on the river. There are no flush draws, and the only straight he could have hit is if he had 3-4. I call his raise and he turns over AA. Great, I'm killed. I had a one outer the whole way. Lose a bundle.

Next table. I'm holding 10-7 in the big blind. No pre-flop raisers. Flop comes 5-10-7. I bet out, one dude calls. Turn is a 5. I bet, he calls. River is a 5. I made a full house, I bet, he raises, I call and say fuck at the same time and he turns over pocket Queens, which he played painfully slow. Lose a bundle.

I'm left with 12 bucks at this table and before I can get more chips, I pick up pocket Q's, the same ones that just killed me. Ironic, isn't it? I double up with those and then pick up pocket Aces on the very next hand. The flop comes K-A-10, rainbow. I'm feeling pretty good about this. I only doubled the big blind in my pre-flop raise, I know, a suspicious raise, but the table was playing very odd. Only one caller. I bet about 40% of the pot on the flop. He calls. I bet again after the turn, he calls. I'm guessing he might have two pair, or an inside straight draw. River comes, he goes all-in, I call, not having a lot left anyway, and he turns over QJ -- he flopped a straight.

So with those three losses in 7 seven minutes I lost $115.

Now, may I not do anything unprotected from here on out and I will be alright.

I watched the UWEC girls lose in OT to the number 1 seed in their second round playoff game last night. It was an excellent game with some shotty officiating, but the girls played hard and nearly pulled off an upset. Just a bunch of careers ending in 5 point OT losses for Blugold Basketball Players this year: Will, Jesse, Dan, Casey, Katie, Jo, Dickey, Emilee, Becca, all of whom have been spotted doing drunk shit at the 213.

Tonight I'm heading to Duluth to see my sister and watch Jesse's brother play. Hopefully there will be time to grab a bite to eat before the game.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Oregon, WI, to watch Jesse's other brother play, he's a senior in HS there.

Four games. Four different gyms. All on the road. Trips of 3 hours 30 minutes, 25 minutes, 3 hours, and 3 hours.

It's fun.

Yes, that means no OC bitching before the episode airs tonight, and that also means we're going to have to borrow someones tape. Volunteer lenders please apply within.

Play on.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?