Monday, March 07, 2005

Doing What a Rabbi Does

Here is my first blog apology. I am sorry I didn't get something out sooner, but I've spent the better part of the last 18 hours reading Jesse's monster weekend recap.

Since I have a good idea that Jesse and I share many readers, I will spare you the play-by-play and just go into some clarifications and additions. So be sure to read his before you touch mine.

Jesse mentioned that he missed out on some great "What If..." convos. Yeah, he did. Questions like (and this right here is me asking for a few conversations that I will want to be out of before they begin) "Alright, you get 5 girls from EC, no strings attached to any of them, who do you go with and in what order?" Yep, that's what we do in the car. I'll have to take notes on our way to PCB.

The Friday Night Hold 'Em Game: It's hard trying to tell your partner the many ways he could have justified laying a hand down after he's lost half your chips.

The Controversy. Jesse made it sound as if I held my cards up in the air for the neighbors peering in the window to see. I checked them like I always do, but Jesse was seated in perfect position to see them. I was conscious of his location, but feeling that I can trust Jesse and seeing him as a man with integrity, I wasn't worried about it.

A few things about the hand: I had 10-8 suited in very late position and was short stacked, All-In was my move, had to grab a hand and go with it. Adam, being in the big blind with A-7 suited and having a good amount of chips is going to call me even without Jesse tipping him off, but the fact that Jesse did do that was upsetting. He wrote that I flipped out, I wouldn't go that far, but he did receive a nice berating from me. I don't care if he's your teammate or not, if you see someone's hand, especially a friend's, then keep it to yourself and enjoy the extra information you have while watching the hand unfold. I saw many hands that weren't mine while I sat out and said not a word. So hopefully that scene is never repeated.

So we're at the CC Club and I'm looking around trying to a girl disproportionately hotter than me, but, for the first time in the history of me, I was unable to do so.

And when Jesse had Beth's cig I warned him. I knew what was going to happen if he fucked with it. It's just one of life's rules, never get between a drunk girl and her cig. But I do it alot, I would just never get between Beth and a cig.

Yes, Nick Wolff may have had the line of the weekend. Jesse eluded to it, but I need to explain it. One of the Mpls Dudes was talking about poker and different people's abilities and Wolff yelled out something to this effect, "They're out of our league, they brought chips in a bulletproof case!"

Hilarity ensued.

"Hilarity ensued" might be my favorite two-word sentence.

I chiefed (for the first time in quite a long time) at about 4 AM Friday night and woke up at around 2:00 Saturday afternoon with my brain feeling very foggy. Thoughts weren't forming at all. I remember just staring at the TV with Wolff as the title page to The Royal Tenenbaums was paused on the screen. I'm not sure how long we sat there staring.

So the Whalen story. Here's what Jesse left out. Within Will's extended family there is an ongoing debate about who would win in a one-on-one game between Will and Whalen. Cousin Sara and a few others perched on her branch of the family tree will go to their grave believing Whalen would beat Will. Then there are guys like me (yeah, I'm family, Mrs. J. said so) and Adam who struggle to figure out how she'll get a shot off over a 6' 6" dude. Just a common sense thing that some people manage to vastly overlook.

So anyway, Cousin Sara Huskies (rhymes with Brewskis) called us and said that Whalen was ready to play Will and that we should all go meet at a court. Apparently she even changed shoes for the event or some shit. Adam and I were trying to tell Will he had to and shit, but realistically it was never going to happen. So at this point Will and Jesse do not want to go to Old Chicago to meet up with them. Adam feels bad about being no shows and asks me if he goes will I go with him, I say sure and we all end up going. We had two drinks and left. Aside from the near brawl, not real exciting.

Yes, Will beat me heads up. Yes, I've won since 2003. Yes, I took Jesse out of that game; it's hard to cheat when you don't have a partner.

I kid. But at the same time, in every joke lies a little truth.

So that was pretty much the weekend.

Good friends, good conversations, good drinks, good times.

I tried to have a good pic of me taken with the cute dog that is posted on Jesse's blog cause I thought ladies would dig seeing a cute dog in my arms, but I was drunk and holding a beer in one hand while my raised middle finger blocks most of my face. So yeah, I fucked that opportunity up.

Bring on Florida. Bring on the Tournament. Bring on Opening Day.

Until Later.

(If you understand why this entry is titled what it is, let me know.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?