Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Sun is Setting on the 213

I'm a big fan of Fun with Numbers and Fun with Words.

Fun with words: I was watching the West Wing today. I am ready to say that the episode titled "Noel" (guest starring Adam Arkin) is one of the top 5 TV episodes of all time. Anyway, in it, Martin Sheen's character, POTUS (President of the United States), points out that using phrases like "very unique" or "most historic" are redundant and pointless. Those might not be the exact the phrases but the idea is there. If something is unique it is one of a kind; it can't be very unique. Likewise for historic, historic is historic. There aren't degrees for these things.

Future writers take note! I'll fucking kill you if you fuck this up later on! Harsh? Yes. Necessary? Nope. Justified? 100%.

Words are funny. There are a lot of words that people use incorrectly in daily language.

Do you remember in elementary/middle school when you had to do Daily Oral Language (DOL)? Do you also remember when you first learned about oral sex and then tried to make something sexual out of the phrase "Daily Oral Language"??? Okay then... just me.

Jesse is having his fun with words on his blog, having you people fill in the blanks to songs pertaining to the title of his blog (bad pop music). Speaking of titles of blogs, I think Jesse should write more about bad pop music. I would like his thoughts on popular songs of the day.

This is often how Jesse and I communicate. We are guys. Sometimes words between guys are not given the proper weight or the intended sentiment isn't able to be passed along so we find other ways of expressing ourselves. Generally, I do a pretty good job of just spilling it, but not always. Examples: Me requesting thoughts from Jesse. Jesse thanking me in his blog for the grad presents I gave him.

Just guys, emotionally guarded guys.

I'm generous most of the time, could be why I'm often broke but if I wasn't as generous as possible, I would feel like a dick. I still owe a few people a few things to commemorate a few occassions.

I'm trying to get back into a classic Deets post mode.

Getting back to your roots always helps so I have some Blink playing a Beast sitting near me.

I had a very fun afternoon this afternoon. This afternoon was really fun.

Who does that last line sound like? Anyone?

The days of the 213 are winding down. All things come to an end and that end always brings about a new beginning. I was just thinking about that about three and a half minutes ago when I was listening to Reckless Abandon by Blink-182. That song became the theme song for me and some great friends for a few summers and listening to it brings a lot back. I feel happier just hearing the first few lines. That time ended. We don't see each other as much as we should and rarely are we all together at the same time when we do. But a new time began and now that time is ending too. We will each mourn the passing of this era in our own way, but ultimately there will be a place in each of our hearts where it will be solidified. The word solidified implies that the emotional connection to the 213 and its members and its great times will be set in stone within the heart, but as happens to all things we lose, pieces of it will slowly crumble over time and things will be lost forever. Hopefully we hold on to what is most important and relive it with each and every reunion.

After I wrote that I went into the kitchen to get a new beer and told Will and Jesse than I'm a great writer. They scoffed. Jesse speculated about what I would have said had he said that to me. Will accused me of stealing his shit (which I did not).

This is what I'll miss.

Until The Next.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?