Thursday, July 14, 2005

Message in a Pizza Box.

I worked from 12:30-3:30 painting today and from 5-3:30 at Jeff and Jim's.

Here is the highlight from my day at work:

My friend and former roommate Shane is back in town this week working a basketball camp. He has 12 Ninth grade characters to mold and games to improve - and just one week to do so and leave a lasting impact.

This morning he was running drills with them and had them see how many right handed lay-ups they could make in 2 minutes. Then he had them do the same on the left side. He made a wager with them that if they made the same or more on the left side then he would buy them pizza from Jeff and Jim's for dinner. They made more on the left side. He lost.

So Shane saunters into Jeff and Jim's and orders two 20" pizzas for carry out that is he going to bring up to the dorms for these 12 sexually curious, hormone-raging adolescents to enjoy.

As I am packing Shane's giant pizzas into their boxes and cutting them up I start to feel a little mischievous. Who doesn't enjoy a little practical joke? I decided to include a message on the inside of each pizza box. I wrote my messages with a Sharpie on the flip side of each box's lid.

Background info necessary to the story: Shane has been having 90 minute long conversations with a girl whose name we do not mention every night since July 2nd. They have met in various towns in Wisconsin to enjoy each other's company and have also made plans to meet in a few other towns in the future. I don't think a town has or will be repeated yet. Interesting but not at all need-to-know information. Continueing...

On the first box I wrote: "ASK SHANE ABOUT *HIS GIRL*. MAKE HIM TELL YOU; DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!"

On the second box I wrote: "SHANE KISSED ANOTHER GUY ONCE."

After Shane picked the pizzas up, I payed a little closer attention to my phone, on vibrate, and in my pocket. About 15 minutes later I get a call... "Dude, uncalled for... They want her phone number and won't stop!" Then we both laughed.

Ten minutes later a co-worker tells me I have a phone call on line one. I pick it up:

ME: "Thanks for holding, This is Brent."

CALLER: "Dude, We just opened the other box! Thanks a lot, man..."

More laughter.

Another ten minutes passes.

Same thing.

ME: "Thanks for holding; this is Brent."

CALLER: "Hi, I'm one of Shane's basketball players... Did he really kiss a guy?"

ME: "Yep."

CALLER: "Thanks a lot! Now we have to run extra sprints and do wall sits."

ME: "Why?"

CALLER: "'Cause of what you wrote on the boxes!"

ME: "Sorry, Dude, I gotta go."

Click.

Fun at work. You gotta have fun at work.

Baseball Tomorrow.

Until The Next.

And... Thanks for the anonymous post, Jesse, include your name next time -- gutless.

Comments:
brent... its been too long. call me sometime... or IM.

Melissa
 
Roger Waters.. thats who I was trying to think of when we were having the Pink Floyd discussion, well it wasn't really a discussion, you get the point.. and don't ask me how I just thought of that.
 
This story is classic. Absolutely classic.
 
This story is classic. Absolutely classic.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?