Monday, October 10, 2005

Don't Quote Me

Note: The recap of the most recent new The OC will come just before the airing of the next new The OC. We'll all need a refresher by then.

I didn't get a playoff prediction up on The Blog in time, but here is the one I e-mailed to The Connection.

Red Sox over White Sox in 5.
Angels over Yankees in 4.
St. Louis over San Diego in 3.
Houston over Atlanta in 5.
Red Sox over Angels in 6.
Houston over St. Louis in 7.
Houston over Red Sox in 6.

Well, not too bad. I could not have been more wrong about the Red Sox, getting swept by the White Sox and not even having Schilling see any action has to be embarrassing.

Today's 18 inning marathon in Houston was fucking absurd. At one point in the 17th inning, the stalemate had Adam saying, "The game's a wash, let's finish it tomorrow." But that is baseball at its finest. I would say it was a couple teams fighting tooth and nail to win the game, but I think at about inning 16 it became a couple really tired teams hoping not to loose. That is until Clemens came in and shut the door on Atlanta's chances. It would have been interesting though had Burke not hit that home run in the bottom of the 18th to see what would have happened when Clemens had gone as far as he could have. Then what? Position player on the hill and Clemens in the field, I guess. I want to see that one day, have a team's pitching staff so desimated that a pitcher has to be relieved by an outfielder and the pitcher goes to play right field. The Twins were very close to putting Dan Gladden in to pitch in the 1991 World Series. Connection to the Twins in this year's post season? Gary Gaetti is Houston's hitting coach. Gaetti. He was great until he found God. Not kidding either, read it in Tom Kelly's book about that season.

There's an interesting link to one of The Sports Guys throwback columns up on his website. It's about choosing a quote for your high school yearbook. Then he lists a bunch of his favorite quotes.

Here are some of my thoughts on quotes (sorry if this offends you or insults your AIM profile):

1) Inspirational quotes are really fucking cheesey.
2) The only useful quotes are either funny or really clever.
3) The Bible is a horrible source.

I don't think we had yearbook quotes in my high school, but we did have a senior edition of the school's newspaper where seniors could submit quotes. The only one I remember that I had in there was "Skip half days of school so you can still go to practice that day." That was something I practiced far too much my senior year. See my 8 page attendance print out. If you look on my facebook profile, my only quote is "Inspirational quotes suck." Of course, attributed to myself.

Quotes like that whole thing about dancing like nobody is watching or ones about feeling good about yourself or ones about love and how complicated it is are just annoying. They come a dime a dozen and offer you nothing new, nothing to hold on to and reflect on. When you read or hear those, you'll probably just nod your head and say, "Yeah."

I also think that the phrase "the real world" should be banned from all graduation speeches everywhere.

Anway, here is my shoutout, I hate that phrase too, makes me feel like I'm a 15 year old girl on TRL yelling a bunch of shit that no one can hear and that no one gives a shit about, but anyway, here is my shoutout to Derek Breidenbach, loyal reader and uber ladies man at UMD. Derek, give me something quoteworthy for the blog.

Lots more to write about. Lots. But it's 3:00 a.m.

Until The Next.





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?