Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Party Hard

Jim Rome being Jim Rome today. This is why it is so much fun to listen to the guy.

"An Austrian man thought he was Superman. He jumped from the fourth story window. He was wrong. Splat!"

I'll have more on this later, I just wanted to get that up right away today before I forgot.

Some World Series thoughts:

Who the hell decided to put statistics up on the screen last night about how many Fox Promos had been on during the damn game?!?

Do you think Shoeless Joe Jackson will be smiling when Chicago wins it? And if he is, do you think he'll be in his grave or in an Iowa cornfield?

That is assuming Chicago wins it. Houston is not winning four straight. I was so completely wrong about the White Sox. It was denial. I didn't want to believe they were good. But they are good. And they are getting every break to go their way so far this post-season. There has been a lot of controversial plays this year and Chicago has benefited from everyone of them. But that can't take away from how they've played.

Last night Tim McCarver said a ton of stupid things, but one time he said, "The White Sox have played mistake-free baseball this World Series." So I started trying to think of a mistake I could point out so McCarver could be wrong. The only one I could think of was Aaron Rowand making a baserunning mistake on a flyball. That's it. And that's why the White Sox are winning, that and fluke homers by guys like Podsednik and Blum, but that's what October does, it creates heroes.

When can we get Al Michaels back in baseball?

Rack him.

Jesse and I are heading to Milwaukee on Saturday for The Black Crowes concert.

In order, the best concerts I've seen in my life are: Bad Religion, The Black Crowes, Dropkick Murphys, and Consumed.

I do not count Warped Tour shows because they are like seeing a long preview for a movie. The sets are only 30 minutes and they're tons of idiots around and it's a hastle.

So I am pumped to see The Crowes again. Chris Robinson is an outstanding front man - and he married hot. Kate Hudson is pretty easy on the eyes.

While I've always listened to punk rock and it is the musical constant in my life, I've gone through various stages over the past four-five years of liking music from other genres as well.

There have been just five musical acts, other than punk bands, who have beat the test of time to remain on active duty in my playlists: The Black Crowes, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Talib Kweli, and The Who. In more ways than one, I think The Who were the first ever punk band.

Every stage leaves a band or two behind that I will probably always like, but most of them just fade away.

The first came during my senior year of high school. I got into Buckcherry, Andrew W.K., System of Down. I accidentally rediscovered Andrew W.K. about a month ago and had no clue who it was. It took me two days to put it all together and I laughed my ass off when I did. System of a Down brings me back to the football locker room.

The Second one was during my freshman year of college. I started like groups like Dispatch, O.A.R., Coldplay, Gary Jules, and Rusted Root. The only one of those who gets any airtime in my room anymore is Dispatch - and that's a rare occurance.

After that came singer/songwriters: Harry Chapin, Tracy Chapman, Paul Simon. The only lasting from that group are a few Chapman songs and some Simon and Garfunkel.

The next musical fad to take over my computer was influenced by Jesse: Bad Pop Music. It didn't last long, but I'll admit it - it happened. I am eternally shamed.

Then I fell into the '80's and early '90's a little bit. Not so much any particular band, well maybe Tears for Fears and The Cure, but a lot of the one-hit wonders that came from that musical era. And The Cranberries.

After that bad scene was over I got into hip-hop a little bit. The Roots, Jurassic 5, Atmosphere.

This summer I had a brief run with The Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie. Those bands have their time and place, but it isn't frequent. Also bands like The Killers, The Bravery, The Gorillaz, Arcade Fire, and a bunch of similar bands have also been in my ears. Much of it comes from the discs people bring into work at the pizza joint.

There are only three discs I approve for listening to during a crazy ass, stressful, very busy bar rush. They have to be fun and light and easy to listen to to keep everyone calm we have hoards of drunks who will be able to die happy after getting a slice of pizza. The three discs are: Greatest Hits albums of both REO Speedwagon and Michael Jackson and anything from Sublime. Laugh now, but it works.

And now I'm listening to much more classic rock than I ever have. I have always liked Blind Melon and The Black Crowes, but now I'm hearing more Bob Seger, Steve Miller, Buffalo Springfield, CCR (ala Jeff Lebowski), etc....

Not that any of you give a shit about me tracking my musical tastes over the past five years, but there it is.

So I'm done and in the very mortal words of Andrew W.K., "When it's time to party we will always party hard!"

Until We Party Hard.

Comments:
I think it's funny that you call Blind Melon and the Black Crowes classic rock.
I guess it's not that far off though, so I think you might have something there.
Oh yeah, classic rock sucks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?